Rustic luxury on Maine’s southern coast
16 Cottages / 20 Bungalows
Tucked into a wooded corner of the seaside town of Kennebunkport, Hidden Pond is a charmingly secluded 60-acre resort perfect for both outdoorsy types and upscale vacationers seeking modern luxury with a rustic twist.
Hidden Pond is composed of 16 two-bedroom cottages and 20 cozy bungalow cottages, and thanks to the plentiful foliage from the birch and fir trees, every standalone structure feels like a private escape — located just a convenient bike ride from the bustling town center of Kennebunkport, where you can fill up on lobster rolls or shop the local boutiques.
Activities also abound on the sprawling property. Partake in Hidden Pond’s complimentary bicycles and frequent events like yoga classes, mixology courses and even guided hikes through the nearby Rachel Carson National Wildlife Refuge.
In the evening, huddle around the fire pit to roast marshmallows and share stories, wrapped in soft plaid blankets provided by the attentive staff.
Our Inspector’s Highlights
• Each of the 20 bungalows offers a sweet retreat for couples featuring screened porches, an outdoor daybed and café tables and chairs.
• Every visual element at Hidden Pond has been carefully considered, from the architecture, which references New England’s historic structures, to the raw wood circles that adorn the walls at Earth, the hotel’s signature restaurant.
• The Tree Spa brings a touch of whimsy to the traditional spa experience. It’s made up of three treetop rooms built eight feet above the ground.
• The grounds are a main attraction, and feature walking trails that wind through picturesque woods.
• A welcome touch: Staff leaves piping-hot coffee and basket of pastries and your choice of newspaper at your door every morning.
What to Know
• If you’re traveling with the whole family or a large group of friends, the two-bedroom cottages offer plenty of space to sleep, dine and relax in style. Similar to the bungalows, the cottages boast outdoor showers, gas fireplaces set in river stone and screened-in porches
• The Kennebunkport hotel also provides a shuttle to its beachfront sister property, The Tides Beach Club, as well as free beach chairs, towels and bottled water for sun-seeking guests
• The Lodge is an arts-and-crafts-inspired gathering spot that features a large stone fireplace and French doors, which open to the family-friendly main pool.
• Hidden Pond also had an adults-only swimming pool, The Serenity Pool, located near the Tree Spa.
• The luxury hotel closes for the season each year from November to April.
• The rooms are decorated with contemporary rustic art, inspired by the natural landscape of Maine.
• Every time you visit, you can get an entirely fresh view of Maine style, since each of the 16 coastal-chic cottages has been appointed by a different local designer.
• Each room features a plush king bed, situated opposite a sitting area, where you can relax and watch the flames dance in the floor-to-ceiling stone fireplace.
• All accommodations come with a fully equipped kitchen, in case you feel like staying in and cooking.
• To enjoy the fresh Maine air, cottages and bungalows come with their own private outdoor showers.
• Earth at Hidden Pond is a leader in the southern Maine farm-to-table movement, and paving the way is chef Justin Walker, who makes creative and fresh fare from local produce, meats, and cheeses.
• The dining room utilizes herbs from the nearby garden, so you can stroll among the dill fronds and chives during the day before settling in for a salad plucked fresh from the property.
• At dinner, expect dishes like miso-glazed pork ribs with littleneck clams, Chinese black beans with Maine lobster, and biscuits with foie gras butter.
• For breakfast, enjoy casual American dishes with a Maine spin, like local roasted potatoes, farm-fresh eggs and bacon from heritage pigs.