Answers from Our Experts (1)
The Mississippi Delta has plenty of hotel chains, so it’s likely you will never have to worry about finding a room for the night. But if it is a truly unique experience you are looking for, these accommodations are worth making a reservation:
1. The Alluvian Hotel. Situated in downtown Greenwood, Miss., this is a cosmopolitan boutique hotel located in a historic 1917 landmark building. It has 45 guest rooms and five suites that are each uniquely designed with luxury and comfort in mind. Every room is equipped with beautiful, oversized bathrooms complete with glass-encased showers and granite countertops. All suites feature whirlpool baths, while some also include gas fireplaces and private balconies. The hotel’s large central courtyard is the perfect place to relax and unwind after a long day of exploring. On Thursday nights, you can enjoy happy hour and live music in the Alluvian’s elegant lobby lounge.
2. Delta Bohemian Guest House. For something a little more quaint, make a reservation at this property in Clarksdale. The historic two-bedroom, two-story home was built in 1917 and beautifully restored in 2012. The house is only three blocks from downtown Clarksdale and has a comfortable yet classically whimsical décor. If the eclectic art and colorful furnishing inside aren’t captivating enough, guests can relax outside in the fenced backyard with a lovely garden, pond and picnic area.
3. Ground Zero Blues Club. Also in Clarksdale, this unique place offers clean and comfortable apartment-style lodging for out-of-towners. Ground Zero, which is co-owned by actor and Mississippi native Morgan Freeman, has seven apartments located directly above the club, in what was once a cotton-grading warehouse. From Wednesday to Saturday, guests can enjoy live music in the evenings and then head back up to their room via the club’s private indoor staircase after the show. But do keep in mind, the modest quarters sit directly above a juke joint, and it does get loud, so don’t plan on coming here for a quiet getaway.
4. Bluestown Inn. This down-home property has two newly constructed suites located right in the heart of downtown Clarksdale and within walking distance of several blues clubs. The rustic wood and corrugated metal décor combined with leather furnishings give each room a masculine feel, making it the perfect place for a guy’s weekend.
5. Tallahatchie Flats. If you are looking for a unique experience to tell all your friends about, then look no further than Tallahatchie Flats, located three miles north of Greenwood. Sitting on the banks of the Tallahatchie River (think Bobbie Gentry and “Ode to Billy Joe”), Tallahatchie Flats is a row of converted sharecropper cabins situated on a Delta cotton plantation. Each cabin has been updated to include essential amenities such as electricity, indoor plumbing, and heating and air conditioning. Because it is in the middle of nowhere, Tallahatchie Flats gives visitors the rare opportunity to unplug from the world and enjoy the peace and quiet that can only be found in the rural South.