Answers from Our Experts (1)
Vienna has a wide and eclectic range of child-friendly attractions. Here are Forbes Travel Guide’s editors’ five kid-friendly picks for what to do in Vienna:
1. Play and discover. Vienna’s ZOOM Kindermuseum is one of the best kids’ museums in the world, offering hands-on, child-powered fun while also surreptitiously teaching them a thing or two about the world.
2. Hop on a rollercoaster. Head to the northwest corner of Prater public park and you’ll come across Wurstelprater – a family-friendly amusement park that boasts rollercoasters, carousels and a Ferris wheel.
3. Head up the Donauturm. One sure way to entertain kids is with a trip in a high-speed elevator. Visit this 252-metre-high observation tower beside the river and ride the elevator to the top in less than a minute for stunning views of the city and the opportunity to dine in a revolving restaurant.
4. Take a ride in a carriage. It may be touristy, but a ride through Vienna in one of the city’s traditional horse-drawn ‘fiaker’ carriages is an experience the kids will not soon forget.
5. Visit the zoo. Vienna is home to the oldest zoo in the world, the Tiergarten Schönbrunn and it’s the perfect family destination. You’ll find all the usual suspects, including elephants, sharks, big cats, and polar bears, but the undoubted highlights are the zoo’s three adorable giant pandas: Yang Yang, Long Hui and their offspring Fu Hu.