Answers from Our Experts (2)
Vienna has been called the culinary capital of Central Europe. From cutting edge eateries with fine dining to coffee houses serving fresh pastries, you’ll find it in the Austrian capital. Here are Forbes Travel Guide’s editors’ pick for the best places to eat in Vienna:
1. Steirereck. The best restaurant in Vienna, and one of the top dining experiences in the world, Steirereck is run by head chef Heinz Reitbauer and serves up some incredibly inventive and exquisite dishes. Forbes Travel Guide editors recommend the wild boar’s head with Purple Haze carrots, pineapple and buckwheat.
2. Esterházykeller. The best budget eatery in the city, this historic restaurant (originally opened in 1683) serves up traditional Austrian cuisine, from meat-heavy mains to sweet desserts.
3. Kim Kocht. If you’ve had your fill of schnitzel, then head to Kim Kocht for something completely different — a fusion of Asian cuisine cooked to your personal preferences. Kim Kocht creates an outstanding Peking duck.
4. Wienbotschaft. Unique among the city’s gourmet restaurants, Weinbotschaft serves only 100% organic dishes. Although this inevitably means options are limited, everything on the menu is superb quality.
5. Fabios. Probably the best Italian restaurant in the city, this gourmet eatery also serves up cuisine from around the Mediterranean. The price-to-quality ratio also makes this one of Vienna’s best deals.
Steirereck is the absolute best. I would say it has Austrian cuisine and it’s also the best restaurant in Austria, no question. Lately they specialize in a vegetarian-based menu. I brought some friends with me there, and they were blown away. First of all, the presentation was fantastic. They loved how refined the food was and how seamless the service was.