There are plenty of places around the city to get the perfect views of Wellington:
1. The Mt Victoria lookout is arguably Wellington's best-known vantage point, but that is not to say it is lacking. With panoramic views from Cook Strait, through central Wellington, up Hutt Valley, over the harbor, then back to the southern suburbs, it's a winner. The flock of tui that have taken up home are an added bonus.
2. The gun emplacements above Breaker Bay are not for the unfit, but the clamber up the sand bank or dirt tracks is well worth it for a view over the harbor heads.
3. Again, the walk up Mt. Kaukau is a bit of a hike, but not wasted time.
4. The Brooklyn wind turbine wouldn't be where it is if it wasn't for the wind. But even Wellington has its calm days and the view is spectacular. As an added bonus, you can drive to the top from Ashton Fitchett Drive in Brooklyn.
5. The Massey Memorial at Point Halswell commemorates William Ferguson Massey, who was prime minister from 1912 to 1925. Situated at the top of Maupuia, the lookout has fantastic views over Wellington Harbour.