Answers from Our Experts (1)
If you thought the food in Tuscany was to die for, wait until you hit Southern Italy. It’s a tour de force when it comes to your taste buds. Though it’s nearly impossible to go wrong, here’s the shortlist of the five best places to eat on the Amalfi Coast according to our Forbes Travel Guide editors:
1. Don Alfonso’s, Positano. You can’t go to the Amalfi Coast without stopping into Don Alfonso’s delicious restaurant. The haute cuisine is inspired by centuries-old recipes, such as the foie-gras-stuffed cannoli, made with ingredients from the establishment’s very own farmhouse. Tucked away in the village of Sant’Agata sui Due Golfi, near Positano, Don Alfonso’s has been open since 1890 and boasts one of the best wine lists in Europe.
2. L’Olivo, Capri. Located in the Capri Palace Hotel, L’Olivo is one of the village’s most luxurious dining experiences. From the Murano glassware to the elegant atmosphere, this excellent restaurant is a true Italian job.
3. Da Paolino’s Restaurant, Capri. This family-owned eatery has had a loyal following since it opened “under a sea of lemons” decades ago. Located conveniently on the Marina Grande, stop in for the antipasti buffet and some chilly limoncello.
4. Ristorante La Sponda, Positano. Candles, flowers, fresh sea breezes — the only thing rivaling the ambiance at Ristorante La Sponda is the food. From the fresh fish to the offerings atop the wooden dessert cart, expect a meal that’s as delicious as it is romantic.
5. Il Buco Ristorante, Sorrento. This small, classy restaurant dates back centuries. Built in the wine cellar of an ancient monastery, this intimate establishment offers four tasting menus, all made with the freshest ingredients and complemented by an excellent wine list.