Answers from Our Experts (1)
With Sorrento or Positano as a springboard, the best things to see and do on the Amalfi Coast won’t be far away. Here are Forbes Travel Guide’s editors’ picks for the best five things to do on the Amalfi Coast:
1. Visit Pompeii and Mount Vesuvius. Though the region has plenty to offer history buffs, Pompeii is the most impressive site of all. The once-bustling commercial center froze in A.D. 79 when Mount Vesuvius erupted and covered it in 30 feet of ash and lava. Still well preserved, Pompeii is an eerie but must-see destination. For jaw-dropping views, hike to the top of Mount Vesuvius.
2. Take the ferry to Capri. A fashionable little island off the coast of Naples, Capri was first a favorite among Roman aristocrats and now is loved by artists and celebrities. The ferry from Positano and Sorrento runs regularly and is a breezy 40-minute ride. Stroll through the citrus groves, steep cobblestone streets and stop to try the limoncello. Later, catch a tour boat to the fabled Blue Grotto sea cave to see what all the fuss is about. If you have time, consider taking the chair lift up to 1,900-foot Mount Solaro, where you’ll find the best views of Mount Vesuvius, the Faraglioni rocks and the surrounding islands.
3. Get knee-deep in Naples. Often overlooked in favor of Rome, Naples offers an energetic escape from the beaches and bars. Once considered the “Paris of the south,” Naples is now grittier than its neighbors, but embrace its chaotic nature and you’ll be rewarded with some of Italy’s best museums, architecture and, of course, pizza.
4. Catch a concert in Ravello. Famous for its classical Festival Musicale di Ravello, the small village is a must-see for culture enthusiasts. To satisfy your concert cravings, head to the festival’s center in the gardens of Villa Rufolo during the summer months.
5. Shop in Positano. Browsing boutiques is a popular activity in this seaside village, known for its big brand, Moda Positano. Fashionistas frequent the famed shopping stroll Via Cristoforo Colombo, where the artisan shops and fashion boutiques can keep you busy all day.