Answers from Our Experts (1)
Located along the sand dunes on one of Florida’s barrier islands, The Ritz-Carlton, Amelia Island offers a scenic getaway and plenty of amenities and activities to enhance your visit. Here are five things you should know about the resort before you arrive:
1. It’s a blast for kids. The Ritz-Kids program here offers daily activities for kids, including crafting classes and high-tide sandcastle building, while the family clubroom features air hockey, Wii, Xbox and more. Free events like a weekly treasure hunt are also offered, and you can even arrange for costumed pirates to read to your children before bedtime. The little ones also have their own dedicated swimming pool and playground area.
2. Outdoor activities are endless. You’re steps from the sea where you can go swimming in the warm water or use the ocean kayaks. But if beach going isn’t your activity, the Forbes Travel Guide Four-Star hotel offers everything from tennis and golf to beach yoga, 5K coastal nature walks and horseback riding.
3. Salt is a central theme. During your meal at Salt, the hotel’s upscale signature restaurant, instead of table salt, you’ll be treated to uniquely flavored salts like black garlic and smoky Yakima. You’ll also be able to purchase these salts (plus salt cellars, bath salts and cookbooks about salt) in the salt shop on the ground floor near the lobby. Throughout the hotel you’ll also see air purifying salt lamps, and even the spa features a selection of Himalayan salt-based treatments.
4. The spa is great. The Ritz-Carlton Spa, Amelia Island is located across from Café 4750 and offers treatments like a signature honey-butter wrap and a one-of-a-kind, zero gravity Heaven in a Hammock massage. It also features indoor and outdoor swimming pools, a eucalyptus steam room, sauna and a Jacuzzi with waterfalls. You'll enjoy access to the facilities for the whole day if you book a treatment.
5. You won’t need to rent a car. With five restaurants, a spa, several boutiques, a golf course, tennis and the lovely beach just steps from the hotel, you won’t need to leave the resort grounds during your stay. Though should you want to explore nearby Fernandina Beach, a taxi ride into town is $14 each way and takes about 15 minutes.