Traditional healing in lavish Bali
Leveraging the lavish lifestyle that the brand Alila is famous for, the rejuvenating Spa Alila at Alila Villas Uluwatu combines Asian and Western therapies in the cliffside uber-chic resort of Alila Villas Uluwatu.
The spa features an array of therapeutic massages, from deep tissue to a nurturing specialty option for expectant mothers, as well as other beauty services, including his-and-her facials, body scrubs, hair treatments and manicures and pedicures. Each treatment is infused with the Alila signature technique of sayang sayang, which refers to a series of nurturing strokes that are set to calm the body, mind and spirit.
The Bali spa also gives meditation and Pilates classes. Its latest offering, stand-up paddleboard yoga, delivers a private session where asanas are practiced on top of 10- to 12-foot-long boards in the resort’s 164-foot infinity pool. Those who prefer a more traditional yoga setting could also choose from the vast selection of private classes, including hatha, asthanga and vinyasa.
While most of the treatments use the signature Alila Living products that are made from natural and locally sourced ingredients, its bespoke facials incorporate Germany’s Babor cosmetics to address different kinds of skin needs.
Our Inspector’s Highlights
• The Shirodhara is amazing. The treatment employs a 5,000-year-old Indian tradition that starts with a four-hand back massage followed by the dropping of warmed medicated oils onto the third eye to deeply relax the nervous system.
• Pamper yourself with the Journey to You. Choose either a half- or full-day service that starts with a healthy breakfast, followed by hours of holistic indulgence that flows from a footbath, warm stones massage to cocoa body wrap and facial using red clays.
• Exercise while relishing the famous Uluwatu sunset. Try the gravity-defying aerial yoga that is performed at the resort’s cliff-hanging sunset cabana that floats above the Indian Ocean.
• The spa shop sells an extensive range of Alila Living skin care products that are made in East Bali. They serve as good Bali souvenirs, too.
What to Know
• You can mix and match treatments at Spa Alila to create your own customized service. The body wraps and masks, for example, come in three different options for soothing, toning and glowing skin.
• The Uluwatu spa offers complimentary yoga at the pavilion every morning. Advanced practitioners can also take part in a private class on various kinds of yoga, from hatha, ashtanga to vinyasa.
• Cap off a treatment at one of the resort’s dining establishments: The Warung, Cire or Quila. Cire, in particular, has a healthy menu starring locally produced and organic dishes that range from starters to desserts.
• Couples will enjoy the Journey Beyond Two, where they learn the Japanese art of oshibori and master basic techniques to massage each other. The treatment also comes with a romantic candle-lit dinner in a private cabana.
• Try the Babor facials. They employ the power of oil and water to cleanse and invigorate. Each of the three options — Vita Balance, Ultimate Face Lifting and Calming Sensitive — caters to a specific skin condition.
• Expectant mothers should book the pregnancy massage, which relieves physical and emotional stress. The treatment is gentle and non-invasive to ease any discomfort, reduce swelling and help lower tension.
• The unique Tibetan sound and vibration balancing uses a Tibetan singing bowl to zap stress.
• For a complete day of decadence, the Ultimate Spa Pamper provides comprehensive head-to-toe treatments. Starts with cleansing foot rituals followed by a body scrub of your choice, a steam bath, a body and head massage and then end back at your feet with reflexology.
• Boost your experience with series of treatment enhancers. The Champagne and Berry bath sets the scene for couples. This rose-infused bath with citrus bubbles comes with bottle of Billecart-Salmon and chocolate-dipped strawberries.
• There are five separate treatment villas; each comes with its own private entrance, two treatment beds, an herbal steam shower, indoor and outdoor rain showers as well as a bathtub.
• Every service starts with a footbath at the villa’s daybed. You can also control the sound system and select your preferred music.
• The Under the Stars add-on allows you to enjoy the treatment in the privacy of your own villa while stargazing at night.