One-of-a-kind treatments in Bali’s jungle
Ensconced in thick jungle along the raging Ayung River, The Sacred River Spa at Sayan transports you to Bali’s sekala and niskala — the seen and unseen worlds. It’s a land of mysterious parallels between these two worlds, where ceremonies take place regularly to honor both.
Drawing on this mystical atmosphere, the spa works to bring you into alignment by integrating spiritual massage with rituals. The aim is to bring balance by fostering greater awareness.
Expect to be guided through a Kriya yoga, meditation and breathing session before a massage treatment, or have an amethyst crystal placed in your hand throughout a service. Rituals such as these allow for personal unblocking and create a new energy pathway. These are one-of-a-kind treatments in a stunning backdrop.
The fragrance of sandalwood and jasmine, the feel of two soothing oils and the sound of the flowing river combine to make you simply float off to another place.
Our Inspector’s Highlights
• The scrubs are very popular. If you want zing and pick-me-up, try the Rice and Spice or Red Ginger. For total surrender, submit to the all-over banana leaf wrap and drift away dreaming of tropical fruits. All treatments finish with a warming shower and flower lotion.
• The new bamboo yoga bale (an open pavilion) specializes in AntiGravity yoga, in which you are weightless in a yoga swing and off the ground for the asanas and poses. Overlook rice fields and the river as you soar to new heights.
• Daily yoga is offered, and as part of the wellness program, a series of talks takes place to explain yoga and meditation on a deeper level. Ibu Heny Ferawati is your facilitator and resident in-house wellness mentor. She is an enlightened one, as she is a former Buddhist nun.
• For an only-in-Bali experience, visit a traditional village and meet one of Bali’s healing arts masters. His spiritual powers and intuition are supposed to help with any emotional or physical issues you are encountering, and he can recommend special local herbs and oils for healing.
• Journey to the village of Bali’s youngest ordained high priestesses, about an hour away from Ubud. After meeting her, take part in a water purification ceremony at her local temple. She speaks excellent English and welcomes visitors.
What to Know
• Yoga aficionados should keep an eye on the Bali spa’s schedule of visiting practitioners. The Sacred River Spa pulls in yogis from all over the world to lead sessions on everything from Iyengar to namaha.
• The luxurious Ila range of spa products is imported from England. You’ll be left with glowing and radiant skin.
• There are two distinct and separate spa facilities at the Four Seasons. In total there are seven beautifully appointed treatment rooms, including three exclusive villas at the Sacred River Spa located on the banks of the Ayung River and four rooms positioned near the fabulous outdoor Jacuzzi (overlooking the jungle) offering salon services and nail care along with a sauna and steam room.
• Try one of the Chakra Ceremonies, which balance your energy centers. The 150-minute Anahata focuses on heart work with rose damascene — which has the highest vibration of all essential oils — plus a rose quartz crystal massage. The ceremony and its riverside setting give a mystical experience.
• Tantric Bliss combines the power of Shiva (masculine) and the creative energy of Shakti (feminine) and the work of two therapists simultaneously.
• Opt for the Balinese Bathing Ritual, whose coconut oil and freshly grated ginger paste guarantee to ease tension and warm your skin.
• Being on the Ayung River, you can take advantage of river stones at your doorstep. The steam-heated river stone service is a local favorite, and the long rhythmic massage strokes send you to never-never land.
• Facials are custom-designed for your particular skin type and use rainforest plant extract. Try the age-reversing 90-minute hydration treatment, which allows for cell repair and skin plumping via ultrasound. It’s quite a boost for your inner glow.