Answers from Our Experts (1)
Boston is a destination that offers the best of culture, history, arts and entertainment, and Mandarin Oriental, Boston is in the middle of it all. Choosing the best five things to do near the Five-Star hotel is hard, but we’d be remiss if we didn’t suggest the following must-dos:
1. Shop on Newbury Street. The luxury-lined street is home to shops from Chanel, Dior, Marc Jacobs and DKNY, just to name a few. During the spring and summer months, the outdoor cafes are packed with people trying to see and be seen. Go window-shopping (or splurge if the mood strikes you), but don’t leave Boston without a trip down this retail haven.
2. See a show. Mandarin Oriental, Boston is only blocks from Beantown’s theater district and there’s always something special to see. Check with the concierge to see what’s playing and keep in mind that some of Boston’s best-kept secrets are the independent “off-Broadway” shows that make a special debuts in the city.
3. Take a tour or catch a game at Fenway Park. The historic ballpark is worth seeing, even if you’re not a baseball fan. The park — open since 1912 — is within walking distance from the hotel and you can take tours all year long.
4. Explore the food scene. Boston’s restaurant scene is booming and many of the city’s best meals can be found within walking distance of Mandarin Oriental, Boston. Head next door and try L’Espalier for a truly decadent night out, or grab drinks at the famous Oak Long Bar + Kitchen in The Fairmont Copley Plaza, Boston, a short walk from the Mandarin Oriental. A quick cab ride will land you at Barbara Lynch’s famous No. 9 Park restaurant, a favorite among locals for its elegant townhouse location and Italian and French menu.
5. Stroll Boston Public Garden and Boston Common. No matter what season you plan a trip to the city, a walk through the Boston Public Garden and Boston Common is essential for any visitor. In the winter, the gardens are decorated with white lights and perfectly placed mistletoe. In the Boston Common, the outdoor ice-skating rink is a favorite for all ages. During the warmer months, the gardens bloom with roses, tulips and lilacs, and the famous Swan Boats glide across the lake for afternoon rides.