Answers from Our Experts (1)
There are many reasons to check into Market Pavilion Hotel, from its traditional colonial-inspired rooms to its fantastic food. But here are our picks for the best things about the Charleston hotel:
1. Its central location. At East Bay and South Market streets, the Forbes Travel Guide Four-Star hotel is next to City Market. One of the city’s most popular tourist attractions, the market is open daily with more than 100 vendors selling woven sweetgrass baskets, silver jewelry, sweet benne wafers and more. Market Pavilion is also a five-minute walk to Waterfront Park and a 10-minute stroll to shops such as Kate Spade and Louis Vuitton on King Street.
2. Its hot rooftop. During the day, swim in the outdoor pool or sit under the white umbrellas to have lunch and a view of the harbor. At night, the space transforms to a hot spot where locals come to dance to the beats of a DJ and to mingle over blueberry mojitos (blueberry puree, Cruzan rum, mint-infused simple syrup and lime juice). On weekends, it’s not unusual to see a line outside of the boutique hotel wrapped around the sidewalk with people waiting to get into the fifth-floor Pavilion Bar.
3. The concierge-level rooms. Rooms on the fourth floor gain access a charming parlor with toile wallpaper, a white tray ceiling, dark wood furniture and maroon padded chairs and cushy sofas. The parlor provides complimentary breakfast, afternoon tea, evening hors d'oeuvres and more. One afternoon, we spotted a silver oval tray filled with crustless cucumber finger sandwiches and another holding cups of custard with blackberries and other fruit surrounded by chocolate chip and white chocolate chip cookies. Bonus: Club-level guests have their own private concierge.
4. Grill 225. The luxury hotel’s steakhouse lays claim to being the only Charleston restaurant to serve all USDA Prime beef. Go to the rich wood-paneled dining room with wood floors and a white coffered ceiling to enjoy a rib-eye (aged for 42 days) or the thick New York strip (aged for 50 days) with sides such as the creamed corn with jalapeño and cheddar or mashed sweet potatoes with Boursin cheese.
5. The bathrooms. Even in the most basic accommodations, the elegant white marble bathrooms come with a separate shower and tub. And all have luxe Hermès toiletries that you’ll surely want to bring home.