Answers from Our Experts (2)
With three restaurants in The Peninsula Chicago — not to mention a great in-room dining menu — you can imagine how hard it is to choose the best things to eat and drink. Here are our picks for the top items you should order during your stay at the Forbes Travel Guide Five-Star hotel:
1. The English pea soup. If you don't feel like leaving your room, ask room service to send this refreshing and delicious summer soup studded with lobster meat.
2. Carved roasted Peking duck from Shanghai Terrace. This traditional Chinese dish is a must. With its crispy skin, thin-as-can-be pancakes, scallions and hoisin sauce, the Peking duck is out of this world.
3. The chocolate buffet at The Lobby. Served every Friday and Saturday from 8 p.m. to midnight, kids and kids-at-heart should not miss this all-you-can-eat service prepared by executive chef Kai Lermen and executive pastry chef Hsing Chen. As far as desserts go, it's pricey — $40 for adults and $20 for kids under 12 — so be sure to bring your sweet tooth. And you can indulge even further with a chocolate martini included for $10 more.
4. The truffle mac and cheese. Served in a Staub dish, this gourmet mac and cheese is just the heart-warming food you need on a freezing Chicago winter night. The presentation is high-quality and the flavor comforting — just what you’d want to curl up with in your room.
5. A sourdough tartine from Pierrot Gourmet, washed down with a cappuccino. This warm European-style café, located next to the luxury Chicago hotel, is always crowded, so ask the concierge to help you plot the best time to snag a table here, especially during the summer, when the outdoor space is highly coveted.
Hamachi ceviche or halibut cassoulet at The Lobby are two popular lunch or dinner entrees. One of the beautiful French pastry desserts, such as the tartines or tart flambés, are the most popular options from Pierrot Gourmet. Our wide assortment of dim sum and Peking duck at Shanghai Terrace are two great choices for dinner. The sushi, mini hamburgers and scotch flights are popular at The Bar. Lastly, The Chocolate Bar offered at The Lobby on Friday and Saturday evenings is always a winning choice.