Answers from Our Experts (2)
Trump International Hotel & Tower Chicago sits at the juncture of the Loop and Michigan Avenue, making it more than easy to hop in a cab or walk to some of the best attractions in the city. Here’s our list of the five best things to do near the Forbes Travel Guide Five-Star hotel:
1. Walk around Millennium Park. Aside from offering a nice green space in the Loop, Millennium Park has some of the best art in the city. Head toward Frank Gehry’s Pritzker Pavilion with its futuristic curved silver panels for one of the many free outdoor concerts. For a fun work of art, visit Jaume Plensa’s Crown Fountain. Its identical 50-foot glass structures have LED screens that flash faces of locals while water spits out of their mouths and onto the floor. In the summer, kids cool off at the fountain while adults dip their feet in. The park’s can’t-miss attraction is Anish Kapoor’s Cloud Gate. It’s better known as the Bean, for its smooth silver shape that resembles the legume. The oversized Bean is a favorite photo op for locals and tourists.
2. Shop on Michigan Avenue. The Magnificent Mile, Chicago’s famed shopping area, houses big names in high-end retail, such as Chanel, Escada and Louis Vuitton in addition to popular department stores such as Neiman Marcus, Nordstrom and Bloomingdale’s. The surrounding roads — Oak Street (Prada, Kate Spade, Tory Burch) and State Street (Macy’s, Zara, H&M, Anthropologie) — have enough boutiques to keep you busy throughout your trip.
3. Explore The Art Institute of Chicago. Take the bridge from Millennium Park to The Art Institute, the country’s second-largest art museum. Its Modern Wing opened in May 2009 and is a must for those who love contemporary art. Browse 20th- and 21st-century works, including European painting and sculpture as well as modern architecture, design and photography.
4. Go on a boat tour. A great way to see the sights is on one of the numerous boat tours that cruise down the Chicago River. The Chicago hotel teamed up with Wendella, a family-owned and -operated company that gives architecture tours, combined Lake Michigan and river tours, sunset rides and wine-tasting tours. The dock is right in front of the Forbes Travel Guide Five-Star hotel, and it’s one of the most popular tour companies in the city.
5. Scale Willis Tower. If you’re not afraid of heights, take a trip up to the Skydeck located on the 103rd floor of the iconic Chicago building (don’t worry, you’ll zip up there in an elevator). The 1,450-foot, 110-story tower is the tallest building in the Western Hemisphere. Views from the Skydeck are pretty incredible — on a clear day, expect to see out 40 to 50 miles, to Wisconsin, Indiana and Michigan.
It is hard to pick the best things to do near Trump International Hotel & Tower Chicago, as there are so many; but certainly the top five are excellent options:
1. Immediately following your arrival, guests must go on an architectural boat tour. With Wendella boats docking along the south side of the plaza it could not be easier to embark upon one. Guests will enjoy a beautiful 90-minute tour of the city from this unique vantage point while learning the city’s storied history.
2. Once they have enjoyed the view from below, guests must see the city from above. The sky deck at the Willis Tower is a large glass ledge that extends out from the building and has a clear floor for brave visitors to step out onto. On a clear day, you can see all the way to Michigan.
3. Calm your nerves with some retail therapy along the Magnificent Mile of North Michigan Avenue. This mile stretch of high-end shops is one of the most famous shopping districts in the country and there is sure to be something for everyone. Shops include high-end outlets like Saks Fifth Avenue, Bloomingdales, Cartier, Ralph Lauren, La Perla and more accessible outlets like H&M, Top Shop, Ann Taylor and Banana Republic.
4. Afterwards, revel in the local scene at Millennium Park full of people and art. While you are there, take a stroll through the beautiful Modern Wing at the famous Art Institute of Chicago.
5. Cap off your day with an evening at Navy Pier. A beautiful mile long pier with shops, rides, games and in the summer months, a weekly fireworks show that will truly impress everyone.