Answers from Our Experts (1)
Recreational and sightseeing opportunities abound around Colorado Springs, all convenient to The Broadmoor. That said, these are the five best things to do near the Forbes Travel Guide Five-Star hotel:
1. Garden of the Gods. Perhaps the most celebrated nearby site is Garden of the Gods, a national landmark whose stunning sandstone formations rise in rosy-hued, elaborately jagged peaks around the visitors who hike, cycle and picnic in the park.
2. Pikes Peak Cog Railway. Another favorite is Pikes Peak Cog Railway, which whisks you more than 14,000 feet above sea level for extraordinary views of the Rockies. Be sure to bring a camera to capture the panoramic vistas for your scrapbook.
3. Cheyenne Mountain Zoo. The 146-acre Cheyenne Mountain Zoo — started by Broadmoor founder Spencer Penrose — boasts the world’s largest giraffe herd, which you’re allowed to feed by hand. Kids in particular should love the nation’s only mountain zoo.
4. Royal Gorge Bridge and Park. Re-opening in late summer 2014 after extensive renovations, the highest suspension bridge in North America soars 1,053 feet above the Arkansas River. Come see the breathtaking views from the all-new visitor’s center.
5. Stables at The Broadmoor. Back on solid ground, the Stables at The Broadmoor (once property-run, now independently owned) offers guided horseback-riding tours for adults and children over seven years of age. Whether you’re an experienced gaucho or just want to trot around on a pony, riders of all ages should enjoy the open air and majestic animals.