Answers from Our Experts (1)
Whether you like European, American or Middle Eastern cuisine, your taste buds will be satisfied in Doha, a city that offers some truly unique food experiences. Try Forbes Travel Guide’s editors’ choices for the five best food experiences Doha has to offer:
1. Weekend brunches are a national pastime here, and the city’s many fancy hotels offer seemingly endless buffets on Fridays and Saturdays (the weekend in Doha). Depending on where you go, you can gorge on crepes, oysters, sushi, noodles, grilled meats and, of course, rows upon rows of chocolate treats. Don’t forget to try the beef and chicken bacon — pork isn’t allowed in this conservative Muslim country. Our top brunch choices: The Four Seasons Hotel Doha, The W Doha Hotel and the Oryx Rotana hotel.
2. If you want a meal that will be a cultural experience in itself, then head to Souq Waqif. In this Arabic bazaar there sits a popular bread shop that sells crispy Iranian bread baked in a traditional stone oven. Next to it, an Arabic café sells tenderly grilled chicken, lamb and beef kebabs. First grab a seat on one of the café’s cushioned outdoor booths, and then send a friend to order a batch of Iranian bread — 10 delicious round slices for only five Qatari riyals (about $1.40). As you’re eating this cheap yet utterly satisfying meal, bask in the hustle and bustle of the souq’s crowded but colorful alleyways. The café and bread shop are located close to the souq’s mini pet market, but if you get lost ask any of the friendly vendors for directions.
3. Every evening in Souq Waqif a group of Egyptian housewives gather to cook and sell homemade food, like Arab-style crepes and spicy meat and rice blends. It’s all delicious and extremely cheap, and you’ll feel good helping these women to earn a living.
4. If you’re craving sweets, book a table at the W Café in the W Doha Hotel. The café’s charming, colorful and kitsch décor, like something out of a storybook, makes it the perfect place to host a girly tea party. But more importantly, it sells some of the most divine cupcakes in town. You might just melt in your chair.
5. You may think we’re joking when you read this suggestion, but believe us we’re not: Order delivery from McDonald’s, KFC or Burger King. The keyword here is delivery. Only in the Gulf can you get American fast food delivered right to your doorstep by a guy on a motorbike. So go ahead and spoil your diet.