Destin's new family friendly favorite
162 Rooms / 8 Suites
The atmosphere at The Henderson, A Salamander Hotel and Resort is on display as you enter the front doors — you’ll experience a hushed sense of attentiveness once common to the stately manor homes of days gone by.
The Henderson is nestled between the snow-white beaches and 208 acres of an environmentally protected state park — a location that affords it views not only of the Gulf of Mexico, but also of forestry that no other resort property in the area can claim.
A respect and appreciation for local beauty is at play here, from the one-of-a-kind art gracing the walls to the dining menus and the spa treatments. The hotel aims to give guests a sense of connectedness to the Destin area and its unique history as a lucky little fishing village.
Our Inspector’s Highlights
• The facilities are top-notch: the 170 spacious guest rooms and suites have contemporary-classic furnishings and luxurious baths. Plus, there’s a full-service spa, several dining options, a sprawling rooftop terrace and two outdoor swimming.
• For meetings and occasions of all kinds, 30,000 square feet of indoor and outdoor event space offers flexible divisibility, varying views and distinct atmospheres.
• Each artwork in the Destin hotel is a commissioned piece created by local area artists, some of whom have their work available at the gift boutique on the resort’s main level.
• The resort focuses on providing a holistic experience, offering daily outdoor activities that take advantage of the natural surroundings as well as relaxing spa services and healthy dining options.
Things to Know
• The family-oriented resort offers kid-friendly dining as well as activities at Poppy’s Kid’s Camp, where little ones can participate in a variety of scheduled programs and events that free up some time for parents who want a few hours to themselves.
• Guests have complimentary use of personal transportation services, which means that a chauffeured car will be available to drive you to area shopping, dining and whatever nearby activities you may have planned.
• The Henderson’s concierge can provide expert advice on all there is to do and see in the area, from dinner reservations to scheduling tee times to chartering a fishing trip.
• Resort guests have complimentary access to Henderson State Park, allowing use of the park’s picturesque trails for hiking and biking, as well as private beach access.
• Room categories are divided between garden, pool, spa, and gulf views. Decked in hardwoods, plus linens and serene sea-toned blues and turquoises, the rooms feel upscale beachy and comfortable.
• Located on the top level, the luxurious 1,226-square-foot Hangerman Suite claims sweeping views of Henderson State Park, the Gulf of Mexico and both of the resort’s pools through its floor-to-ceiling windows.
• Pool View Suites in the luxury hotel have their own private balconies that overlook the pools as well as the Gulf of Mexico.
• In addition to providing breathtaking views of the Gulf of Mexico, the private balconies of each Gulf View Studio Suite also overlook the Henderson Beach Parks Preserve.
• Spa rooms are appointed with health-minded concessions, including a wellness crate stocked with yoga equipment. For added encouragement to disconnect and recharge, turndown service includes a call from the front desk gently reminding you to turn off their electronic devices; and each room has convenient direct elevator access to the front doors of Salamander Spa.
• With “Gulf to table” cuisine, the full-day menu at the signature Primrose restaurant serves a fresh selection of locally caught seafood as well as a variety of eye-opening breakfast dishes, tasty lunch fare and sumptuous dinner entrées.
• Primrose is a light-filled eatery featuring an open-kitchen design and seating for six at a sushi bar (where you can watch the certified sushi master in action). Outdoor seating on the terrace affords lovely alfresco dining.
• Horizons Bar carries a wide array of signature cocktails, fine wines, locally brewed craft beers and handcrafted bar snacks, but it’s greatest asset is probably its panoramic views of the gulf and nature preserve.
• Families will want to take advantage of Sea Level, a casual poolside grill, and Sprinkles, the resort’s ice cream and candy shop.