Answers from Our Experts (1)
Along with its 23 miles of beach, Fort Lauderdale dishes out luxury and economy hotels, casual and destination dining, shopping, nightlife and kids attractions. Come any time of year and expect to see families frolicking on the beach, newlyweds lounging by a hotel pool, college kids hitting the bars and snowbirds dining along Las Olas. There are 33,000 hotel rooms, 60 golf courses and more than 4,000 restaurants standing by to greet you with open arms. So when you’re in Fort Lauderdale, be sure to visit these exciting spots:
1. Las Olas: Spend the afternoon on Las Olas Boulevard, Fort Lauderdale’s answer to Rodeo Drive. Grab lunch at one of the numerous restaurants and reserve the rest of your time for window-shopping and people watching.
2. Broward Center: Touring Broadway hits like Avenue Q stop off at The Broward Center for Performing Arts. But you can also see performances from the city’s best arts groups, including the Florida Grand Opera and the Miami City Ballet.
3. Beaches: Fort Lauderdale’s beaches catapulted to spring-break fame in the ’60s movie Where the Boys Are. Find out why spring breakers continue to plant their towels on these sandy shores today.
4. Discovery and Science: Children and their parents will geek out over the Manned Maneuvering Unit space ride and walk-through simulated Florida habitats like the Everglades at The Museum of Discovery and Science.
5. Outlet Shopping: Sawgrass Mills is the largest outlet mall in the state. Shop for discounted goods from high-end stores like Barneys New York and Burberry.