Answers from Our Experts (1)
The French Riviera, known for its wealth of sunny shores, offers plenty of things to do with kids. Let the French Riviera’s sand, sun, pristine waters and historic cities be a backdrop to your perfect family vacation. Here’s what our Forbes Travel Guide editors say are the five best things to do with kids on the French Riviera:
1. Visit La Croisette Beach. In Cannes, La Croisette Beach stretches out along part of the old town and is the perfect place to lounge with the kids after perusing the slips of the harbor nearby. You’ll also find a carnival that includes a carousel, small rides and games along La Croisette.
2. Explore Île Sainte-Marguerite. Take a short ferry ride from Cannes over to Ile Sainte-Marguerite, a historic island with a fortress prison where parts of the story of the Man in the Iron Mask were said to have taken place—sure to inspire story- telling and imagination with the kids.
3. See how glass is made. A short drive to the north of Cannes is the town of Biot, famous for its hand-blown glass, where families can tour the glass blowing facilities.
4. Splash around Larvotto Beach. Further north, in Monte Carlo, pull up alongside Monaco’s only public beach, which is just a short walking distance from the spectacular Port of Monaco. Rent deck chairs and an umbrella and claim your spot before it gets too crowded throughout the day. The manmade beach includes a playground and the calm waters are perfect for swimming and snorkeling.
5. Go to the Oceanographic Museum. The popular aquarium overlooking the sea in Monaco was once headed by Jacques Cousteau and is a must for people of all ages. See a giant whale skeleton and squid mold and visit the shark lagoon and coral garden.