Answers from Our Experts (1)
From traditional Swiss dishes and typical bistro fare to a wide variety of international cuisine, Geneva’s got a lot of flavor to enjoy. Here are Forbes Travel Guide editors’ favorite food experiences when they’re in Geneva:
1. Fondue. Fondue in all its many forms (fromâge, Chinoise, Bourguignonne) and the other melted cheese dish raclette are fun food experiences to share with friends and family. Try them both at Auberge de Savièse or Les Armures in Old Town.
2. Rosti. Rosti is another classically Swiss dish that stars potatoes, shredded and browned rather like a Swiss version of hash browns. It’s a filling dish that’s definitely worth a calorie splurge; again you’ll find it at Les Armures.
3. Chocolate. The chocolate from Switzerland is still considered among the best in the world. Head to a chocolatier such as Gilles Desplanches or Chocolaterie Auer to see all kinds of fanciful creations in dark and milk chocolate. But in Geneva, it’s possible to find quality milk or dark chocolate in any grocery store.
4. Lake perch. The fish from Lake Léman is considered a local delicacy in Geneva. Cafe du Soleil and Restaurant La Clef are great places to enjoy fried lake perch in the city.
5. Absinthe. While the anise flavored spirit known as the Green Fairy was banned for 100 years, it never completely went out of fashion in Switzerland, its birthplace. The Swiss brand Kübler Absinthe is easily found at bars across the city.