Answers from Our Experts (1)
Though it may not have as many upscale accommodations as, say, Shanghai or Hong Kong, Guangzhou does have a number of excellent options from some of the world’s most-respected luxury hotel chains. Here are five picks for the best places to stay in Guangzhou:
1. Four Seasons Hotel Guangzhou. Located on the 79th – 100th floors of the 103-story Guangzhou International Finance Center, Four Seasons Hotel Guangzhou offers some of the largest standard guest rooms in the city, all of which have pristine marble bathrooms with deep-soaking tubs. It’s hard to say which we found more impressive: the stunning horizon-edge swimming pool on the 69th floor or the stylish 99th-floor Tian Bar, which is highlighted by a unique 26-foot-long bar made from multicolored agate. Either way, this recent entrant to Guangzhou’s luxury hotel scene has quickly made a strong impression.
2. The Ritz-Carlton, Guangzhou. You’ll enjoy memorable views of the Pearl River from this gorgeous hotel. Located near Canton Tower, the luxury address offers 351 well-appointed guest rooms and suites that come with a 37- or 42-inch flat-screen television, marble bath and walk-in closet. Meanwhile, the facilities include a heated outdoor lap pool, six bars and restaurants and The Ritz-Carlton Spa. Attentive service from the well-trained staff here is a highlight.
3. Mandarin Oriental, Guangzhou. One of the most recent additions to the Guangzhou luxury hotel scene, the Mandarin Oriental, Guangzhou is a beautifully designed property that takes a contemporary twist on a traditional Chinese residence. The 233 guest rooms and 30 suites here are among the largest in the city, and each comes with floor-to-ceiling windows, private foyer, walk-in closet, deep-soak tub and dark wood floors. Adding to the sophistication, the hotel counts a top-notch spa with six treatment suites, five notable restaurants, and a rooftop swimming pool among its facilities.
4. Shangri-La Hotel, Guangzhou. Located next to the Guangzhou International Convention and Exhibition Centre, Shangri-La Hotel, Guangzhou exudes classic style and elegance, from its sweeping grand lobby to the 704 tastefully decorated guest rooms and suites. Service here is predictably top-notch, and its gourmet restaurants, which specialize in Southeast Asian, Japanese and Cantonese cuisine, are superb. Don’t leave without unwinding with a massage in one of the 11 private suites at tranquil CHI, The Spa.
5. Sofitel Guangzhou Sunrich. Centrally located in the city’s Tianhe District and offering easy access to the Metro lines, Sofitel Guangzhou Sunrich features 493 guest rooms and suites with Parisian-inspired décor, iPod docking stations with Bose sound systems, 40-inch flat-screen televisions and Sofitel’s signature MyBed. The indoor pool has music piped in underwater and panoramic views of the city, and the hotel’s So Spa is consistently rated one of the best in the city.