Answers from Our Experts (1)
There are plenty of reasons to take the kids with you to Guangzhou, where kid-friendly activities include taking a thrilling spin on the world’s highest horizontal Bubble Tram, embarking on a fun wildlife safari and splashing around in a massive water park. Here are five of the best things to do with kids in Guangzhou:
1. Ride the Bubble Tram at Canton Tower. Not for the faint of heart, this ride is located 1,493 feet off the ground on top of the Canton Tower, making it the highest of its kind in the world. If the dizzying heights of the tram are a little too scary for you or your kids, you can alternately enjoy stunning views of the city from the less-harrowing observation decks.
2. Explore Yuexiu Park. Stretching across 212 acres, Yuexiu Park is filled with child-friendly treasures – think carp-filled lakes, bamboo groves, the 2,000-year-old Five-Ram Sculpture, the five-story Zenhai Tower, a “Children’s Paradise” amusement zone, and an orchid garden with more than 10,000 blooming beauties during the peak months of May and June.
3. Walk through the Mausoleum of the Nanyue King. The underground tomb of the Nanyue King was discovered in 1983 during the construction of China Hotel, a Marriott Hotel, Guangzhou. Built for Emperor Wen Di, the ancient ruler of southern China (Nan Yue), the tomb is surprisingly intact for being 2,000 years old. You can walk through the subterranean stone structure, which once housed the emperor, alongside 15 of his servants and entertainers, and more than a thousand buried treasures that are now on display in the adjoining museum.
4. Visit Chimelong Paradise. Opened in 2006 and featuring more than 70 different rides and attractions, Chimelong Paradise is the largest amusement park in China and a great place to spend the day with kids of all ages. Older kids will love zipping around on the park’s winding roller coasters, while parents with younger tots can take little ones for a paddleboat ride on the park’s man-made lake.
5. Get Soaked at Chimelong Water Park. There are some really fantastic water rides at this huge water park, including the Super Tornado, where it’ll feel like you’re caught in a tornado as you’re sucked down into a funnel, and the Extreme River ride, which makes use of twists and rapids for a wild ride. The Kids’ Aqua Plaza, Children’s Play Land and Glacier Tunnel are the best bets for children.