Answers from Our Experts (1)
The best five free things to do on Hilton Head Island revolve around — what else — the beautiful coastal setting:
1) Check out the beaches. With miles of pristine beaches to explore, there’s no need to pay for entertainment. Pack your SPF and enjoy relaxing on the white sand, or playing in the gentle waves.
2) Picnic in the park. Take a stroll through or have a picnic at one of Hilton Head Island’s many beautiful community or recreational parks.
3) Bike or walk the paths. 35 miles of biking, walking, or jogging paths zigzag through Hilton Head Island so you can enjoy all that Southern nature has to offer such as marshlands, coastline, moss-draped trees, and plenty of wildlife to be on the lookout for during your exploration.
4) Visit Pinckney Island Wildlife Refuge. Located in nearby Beaufort, S.C. this public area includes salt marshes, tidal creeks, forestland and freshwater ponds. Keep your eyes peeled for an abundance of wildlife — from birds to alligators.
5) Visit Fort Mitchel. Built in 1862 as part of the island’s defense structure, the fort gives you a chance to learn about local history. And the canon still stands.