Answers from Our Experts (1)
Hilton Head Island is an ideal vacation spot for families. The island is crawling with kid-friendly attractions and activities. We recommend taking advantage of these five things to do during your visit to Hilton Head Island:
1. Log lots of beach time. We bet kids won’t soon get tired of simple sandcastles and wave-chasing on the Hilton Head’s miles of clean, beautiful coastline. With rentals and surf shops throughout the island, kids can try out boogie boarding or surfing, or just bury each other in sand.
2. Bike the island. Hilton Head’s 35 miles of wide biking trails are perfect for tandems or training wheels, and kids will have fun zigzagging around island. Ditch the car seats and make two wheels your go-to transportation during your stay. Lush vegetation, marshland, and waterways will greet you during your rides and provide a chance for kids to explore the island’s natural habitat up close.
3. Fish, Jet Ski or kayak. We can’t choose between these water activities that are a must for older kids. They’ll get a kick out of fishing charters (and maybe even make their first catch) while Jet Ski and boat rentals are can’t-miss kid-pleasers. Keep your eyes peeled — dolphins and other sea life abound in the area.
4. Visit a museum. Hilton Head Island is home to the kid-focused Coastal Discovery Museum and The Sandbox, lifesavers especially on rainy — or sunburned — days. Both are interactive options that teach kids about the coastal wildlife found in and around Hilton Head.
5. Let someone else do the planning. The Sea Pines Resort, located on the southernmost tip of Hilton Head Island, is a sprawling resort offering a variety of activities for youngsters. Along with a 500 plus-acre forest preserve, kids can visit a petting zoo, ride horses at Lawton Stables, and take a ride on a pirate ship at Harbour Town. In addition, a local musician and storyteller, provides live entertainment many nights of the week during the summer months — in fact, he has been doing so for over 25 years.