Answers from Our Experts (1)
Before you pack your bags and convert your USD to HKD, here are five things you should know about Kowloon Shangri-La:
1. Reserve a Harbour View room. We think these rooms are worth the extra investment. All of the 688 rooms at the Forbes Travel Guide Four-Star hotel feature floor-to-ceiling bay windows, but the Harbour View rooms offer absolutely breathtaking glimpses of Victoria Harbour and the gleaming skyscrapers of Hong Kong Island in the distance.
2. Sign up for the Golden Circle club. Shangri-La’s guest loyalty program is free to join (either when you check in or via the web), and includes truly excellent perks like priority check-in plus automatic upgrades, suit pressing and buffet breakfasts when you reach certain levels as well as the opportunity to earn free night stays. It’s one of the better loyalty programs we’ve encountered on the road.
3. The hotel is located on the eastern side of Tsim Sha Tsui, a prime shopping district on the Kowloon side of Hong Kong. If you want to venture beyond Kowloon, the TST subway and Star Ferry are both just minutes away.
4. Eat dim sum at Shang Palace. Starting the day off with dim sum — the small dumplings, buns, and snacks served with tea and which translate to “a little bit of heart” — is a Hong Kong tradition. Spend a weekend morning sampling some of the city’s finest at the hotel’s acclaimed Cantonese restaurant.
5. Book a Horizon Club room. These rooms have a more chic design than the standard accommodations and come with more specialized service. Perks include a dedicated Horizon Club who will handle your check-in, access to a private lounge with free drinks and a complimentary breakfast buffet.