Answers from Our Experts (1)
Here are five things you should know before heading to The Peninsula Hong Kong, a historic hotel located in Kowloon.
1. Ride in style. One of the signature services offered at the Forbes Travel Guide Five-Star Hong Kong hotel is its airport transfers in a sleek Rolls-Royce Phantom. It’s certainly a stylish, one-of-a-kind experience, but also a well-known one, so try to book ahead as far in advance as possible to ensure a car is available for you. One-way transfers cost HK$1,500.
2. Relish the renovation. An extensive $58 million refurbishment of this Hong Kong hotel began in 2012 and is slated to be completed in the spring of 2013. Many parts of the hotel will remain untouched, but the guest rooms and suites have received a full remodel that’s introduced a new, elegant design and impressive range of high-tech amenities such as 3D flat-screen televisions and Samsung Galaxy tablet room controls.
3. Arrive early for tea time. The hotel’s justifiably famous afternoon tea, served daily in the neo-classical style lobby from 2 p.m. to 6 p.m., does not accept reservations. Whether you’re staying at the hotel or simply wish to partake in this Hong Kong institution while you’re in town, we strongly recommend arriving early to avoid the oftentimes long wait.
4. Travel light. Don’t worry about packing DVDs, charging cords for your phone or most toiletries. The hotel offers a full library of movies you can rent and pop into your guest room or suite’s Blu-ray player, as well as a convenient charging station that has plugs for most major handheld devices sold in Europe, Asia and the United States. Bathrooms are also stocked with a large assortment of bath products, including shaving, dental, vanity and nail care kits and bottles of body wash, conditioner, shampoo and lotion from Davi Napa.
5. Enjoy exercising. Finally, bring your workout clothes. The Peninsula Hong Kong’s bright, airy gym is outfitted with an array of modern Life Fitness equipment, including treadmills, ellipticals and stationary bikes with personal television sets. During your stay at the hotel you’ll also have access to the fully equipped locker rooms, which are shared with guests of The Peninsula Spa and feature a sauna, steam room, cold plunge pool and Jacuzzi.