Answers from Our Experts (1)
These are just five of the best things to eat and drink at The Peninsula Hong Kong in Kowloon:
1. Afternoon tea. Served daily from 2 to 6 p.m., afternoon tea at this Forbes Travel Guide Five-Star hotel’s neo-classical style lobby is nothing less than a Hong Kong institution. Unfortunately advance reservations are not accepted, so plan on arriving early — and waiting your turn — if you hope to score a table.
2. Cocktails at The Bar. Swanky Salon de Ning may garner more praise — don’t get us wrong, we love that basement bar, too — but The Peninsula Hong Kong’s The Bar is just as special. This funky, masculine space, with its dark wood paneling, velour and leather furnishings, live jazz music and walls adorned with striking artwork and photography prints, is a cozy new spot to sip a strong variety of signature cocktails, wines by the glass and top-shelf whiskies. Tasty gourmet snacks such as olives and chili-chocolate covered almonds are complimentary.
3. Plateau de fromages de France affinés. The cheese course at Gaddi’s, this luxury Hong Kong hotel’s signature fine-dining venue and the first French restaurant to open in Hong Kong back in 1953, includes an excellent selection of imported French cheeses. Availability changes regularly, but expect a high quality variety and accompaniments such as walnuts and apricots.
4. Grilled Kurobata pork belly. It’s hard choosing just one dish to highlight from The Peninsula Hong Kong’s contemporary 28th-floor European restaurant Felix, but this succulent pork belly, served with a lemon-seaweed broth, beer-braised artichokes and mini fried potatoes, is as good an option as any. We love the exclusivity of Felix’s private elevator, as well as the floor-to-ceiling views of the harbour from the gorgeous dining room.
5. Sushi kaiseki. Finally, the extensive menu of Japanese cuisine served at Imasa can be a little overwhelming — everything sounds delicious — so opt for this set meal to try a little bit of everything. The seven-course sushi kaiseki includes an appetizer, premium selection of nigiri sushi, grilled dish, dessert and more.