Answers from Our Experts (1)
Here are the five things you’ll want to know before dining at The Landmark Mandarin Oriental, Hong Kong’s restaurant, Amber:
1. Save room for amuse-bouches. You’ll want to come to Amber with an empty stomach because the restaurant’s famous amuse-bouches (plus canapés, plus mignardises) will add several courses to your meal, even if you order a la carte.
2. There are numerous menus. For dinner, you have four menus to choose from: the five-course Landmark Menu, which focuses on seasonality; the eight-course degustation menu, which focuses on the chef’s overall specialties; the a la carte menu; and, the vegetarian a la carte menu. The items on the two tasting menus are meant to be shared by the whole table.
3. You can eat in-season. Even on the a la carte menu, there are daily specials showcasing chef Richard Ekkebus’ creative takes on seasonal ingredients.
4. Make reservations in advance. If you wait till the very last minute, you may have a hard time getting a reservation at the Forbes Travel Guide Five-Star restaurant, particularly on weekends. In addition, you may have to reconfirm your reservation (via email) more than once, so keep an eye out for emails from the restaurant.
5. The food is superb. A meal at Amber is a full and exciting culinary experience. The presentation is special, the ingredients are fresh and unique, and, above all else, the end results are very, very good.