Answers from Our Experts (1)
In addition to family-friendly beaches and restaurants, Jamaica offers tons of fun activities for kids to enjoy. These are the best things to do with kids as suggested by Forbes Travel Guide:
1. Hike Dunn’s River Falls. A top attraction for water-loving hikers, the guided climb up the cascading, 600-foot waterfall is easy enough for the entire family. Bring a snack, bathing suit and dry socks, as the round-trip hike will take between two and four hours and you will definitely get wet. Guides are available to lead groups up the hike, which helps you avoid sharp rocks. The trailhead is just outside of the resort town of Ocho Rios, but it’s about a two-hour drive each way from Kingston or Montego Bay. Be prepared for the usual tourist experience at the end of these types of trips — requests for tips and eager vendors trying to sell their wares.
2. Visit Dolphin Cove. These attractions in both Ocho Rios and Negril are popular spots where you can interact with dolphins and mellow Caribbean sharks in their natural environment. The truly brave can even hold and feed the sharks. You can even pilot a mini boat, ride in a glass-bottom kayak or snorkel among stingrays.
3. See Rocklands Bird Sanctuary. A local woman nicknamed the Bird Lady created this habitat for birds back in 1962 in the town of Anchovy. Feed tame long-tailed hummingbirds as they light on your finger and see other wild local fowl including finches, quits, nightingales and kingbirds.
4. Explore Kool Runnings Adventure Park. A big draw in Negril, this park offers a wide range of slides and rides. The largest one is called the Jamaica Bobsled Ride — so-named as a tribute to the world famous Jamaican bobsled team. The park also includes a sport park where kids and adults can race go-carts, kayak, and play paintballing and laser tag.
5. Go on an adventure. Want a break from the beaches and water sports? A local organization called Chukka offers a range of nature-adventure packages for families with kids over 6 years old. Choose from the Dune Buggy Adventure, Horseback Ride ‘n' Swim along Papillion Cove, the River Tubing Safari on the White River, or the Zipline Canopy Tour (the minimum age is 8 years for this one, however) over the Laughlands River Gorge. From your bird's-eye view, you'll see the flora and fauna of this magnificent landscape.