Answers from Our Experts (1)
Jamaica is dotted with wonderful beaches, some private and some public. But if you’re looking for the best beaches on the island, Forbes Travel Guide editors recommend you try these:
1. Seven Mile Beach in Negril. Once inhabited by pirates, Seven Mile Beach is now home to a number of high-end hotels and a few small bars and restaurants through which you can access the beach.
2. Doctor’s Cave Beach in Montego Bay. This small beach (it’s only 300 yards long) is stocked with changing rooms, showers and lavatories. There is also a bar called Groovy Grouper where you can get quick meals and drinks.
3. Silver Sands Beach in Duncan’s. Some say that the Silver Sands Beach, which is about 40 minutes east of Montego Bay, is the best in Jamaica. It is the home of some of the finest villas on the north coast of the island.
4. Turtle Beach in Ocho Rios. This public beach is swarming with activity. Head here to rent a sailboat or pick up a game of volleyball.
5. Lime Cay in Kingston. A 15-minute boat ride from the world-famous Port Royal takes you to the tiny island of Lime Cay, where you’ll find clear waters, white sands and little else. It is the perfect spot for a day of swimming, snorkeling and yachting near the big city. This public beach is open to anyone who can get there.