Answers from Our Experts (1)
As a luxury resort known for outstanding service, the Forbes Travel Guide Five-Star American Club can provide just about any amenity you may have left behind, but there are a few things we recommend packing:
1. Your laptop. The American Club is designed to provide a relaxing getaway, so it’s no wonder they don’t offer much in terms of tech support. But for those who absolutely must stay connected, the resort’s small lower-level business center probably won’t suffice — it features just two computers and one printer to serve guests from all of the resort’s 240 rooms. Rooms also are not equipped with DVD players, although the TVs are set up so that you can display movies, videos or anything else from your laptop onto the screen.
2. Kids games, books and DVDs. The American Club recently launched a kids’ program with toys, activities and more, but you might want to pack a few things to keep them occupied when you’re in your room.
3. Golf clubs. Blackwolf Run and Whistling Straits are some of the most beautiful golf courses in the country, but they don’t come cheap. With green fees costing between $180 and $350, bringing your own equipment will at least spare you the $85 club rental fee.
4. A swimsuit. Free passes to the Sports Core health club are included with your stay at The American Club, which means you have access to two swimming pools, a man-made beach and an outdoor whirlpool. The Forbes Travel Guide Five-Star Kohler Waters Spa also features a relaxation pool, along with several whirlpools, a sauna and steam room. On top of that, Lake Michigan beaches are less than five miles away.
5. Workout gear. Your free pass to Sports Core means you can pop in at any time (or at least from 5:30 a.m. to 10:30 p.m.) for a game of indoor tennis, racquetball or a workout it the gym.