Answers from Our Experts (1)
The Immigrant Restaurant is a rare find for a Forbes Travel Guide Four-Star restaurant, considering it’s far from any major metropolis. With its young chef’s forward-thinking cuisine and its historic setting, The American Club Resort’s showcase restaurant presents several interesting features to note:
1) As a visual ode to the Kohler factory town’s roots, The Immigrant Restaurant’s six rooms pay homage to the six major early Wisconsin immigrant groups who helped build up the Kohler bath fixture company in its formative years. The regions represented include French (and Norman), Dutch, German, Danish and English.
2) Chef Matthew Bauer’s five- or six-course tasting menu, which also features optional wine pairings, is a shining hallmark of his culinary talents. An expanded offering of the chef’s pick prix fixe options is in the works.
3) This is no ordinary cheese list; you’re in Wisconsin, after all. The chef has built personal relationships with some of the small artisanal cheesemakers operating out of nearby farms to curate the 40-plus cheeses on the menu.
4) Wine steward Jason Van Auken has built the depth of the wine list with rare offerings curated from auctions and other sources, as well as a good selection of reasonably priced, quality wines for the more casual connoisseur.
5) The Forbes Travel Guide Four-Star restaurant's young chef has driven the menu toward more seasonal and locally sourced ingredients. With an ample supply of family farms and artisanal growers and producers from the area, this approach has yielded some rare, quality finds.