Answers from Our Experts (1)
You’ll have no trouble finding a swanky, well-appointed place to rest your head after a long day of sightseeing in Lisbon, where the upscale accommodations range from sleek boutique hotels to opulent palaces fit for royalty. Here are our Forbes Travel Guide editors’ top five picks for places to stay in Portugal’s capital city:
1. Olissippo Lapa Palace: If you’re drawn to the royal relics of Lisbon, consider splurging on the royal treatment you’ll receive at Lapa Palace. Built in the 19th century on a quiet hill just outside the city center, this gorgeous hotel features 109 guestrooms, swimming pool, marble bathrooms, three restaurants and sweeping views of the Tagus River.
2. Four Seasons Hotel Ritz Lisboa: This world-class hotel is just steps away from Eduardo VII Park and offers facilities such as an indoor lap pool, spa and pristine gardens. Perhaps even more delightful than the hotel itself is the highly trained and knowledgeable staff, who cheerfully attend to your every need.
3. As Janelas Verdes: This 18th-century mansion turned boutique hotel is ideally situated in central Lisbon, near the National Museum of Ancient Art. Its 29 antique-decorated guestrooms are equipped with free Wi-Fi, a flat-screen TV and minibar; outside your room, sip cocktails in the courtyard or enjoy views of the Tangus River from the hotel’s rooftop bar.
4. Hotel Britania: Hotel Britania retains the same charm and art-deco style with which it was first built in the 1940s, while also maintaining the classic Old-World vibe in its massive guestrooms with cork flooring. We love the impressive breakfast buffet here teeming with traditional Portuguese pastries, as well as an evening offering of port wine or tea.
5. Bairro Alto Hotel: A lovely boutique hotel located in one of Lisbon’s most popular districts, Bairro Alto Hotel has 55 well-appointed guestrooms attended by an excellent staff. You’ll find multiple bars here, including the rooftop BA Terrace, which serves food and drinks and features nightly live entertainment.