Answers from Our Experts (1)
The Potting Shed restaurant and bar is tucked into the basement of the Dorset Square Hotel and draws in foot traffic from the locals as well as weary travelers. Where should you start your culinary journey? With these five drinks and dishes:
1. The Silly Mid Wicket cocktail. We don’t know the rules of cricket or how a wicket is involved but we know a good cocktail when we try one: This one mixes Tanqueray gin with rhubarb liqueur, grapefruit juice and a touch of basil or ice.
2. The dish of the day. Each day the Potting Shed has a featured dish, each more tempting than the last. Monday is crispy pork belly, while Wednesday is all about the Lancashire hot pot. Embrace the special!
3. Traditional afternoon tea. When in Rome (ahem, London) why not do as the locals do? You can sample delicate truffled egg and cress sandwiches, tiger prawn cocktail and the classic scones with clotted cream and preserves with your pinky firmly in the air. The tea can accommodate various allergies and even offers wheat-free breads and cakes.
4. The matured Aberdeenshire beef filet. This county in Scotland is known for its tasty beef, and you’ll be given a hefty helping here.
5. The Cherry’s Orchard Cocktail. There’s something refreshing about this cocktail, which combines Woodford Reserve with maraschino liqueur, cranberry juice, a dash of Campari and fresh lemon juice over ice. You can almost smell the fresh grass of the cricket field with your first sip.