Answers from Our Experts (1)
Before you check into The Goring, here are a few things to know about this legendary Forbes Travel Guide Five-Star hotel:
1. If you’d like to steal a bit of peace, quiet and privacy in the hotel’s gardens, you can find seating areas — one with a fire pit — in the far back corners of the gardens for you and your companion to relax in.
2. This hotel harbors many inside jokes. You might notice a wooden duck in your bathroom — and there’s a story behind it. George Goring once brought a string of live ducks through the lobby, and after that, wooden ducks were placed in all the hotel bathrooms.
3. The evening crowd at The Goring is formally dressed — suits and ties for men and dresses for ladies. The breakfast crowd is almost as dressy — pantsuits, blazers and heels on Saturday mornings. While staff encourages guests to act as if they’re at home, be sure to bring your finer wear to feel comfortable.
4. The Bar and Lounge subtly advises guests to leave their cellphones, laptops and electronics in the room. If you were unaware of the rule and have them with you, the staff is happy to hang onto them while you dine and drink.
5. While the rooms at this London hotel are quaint, they can be on the smaller size, depending on which room you book. The standard rooms offer a double bed, armoire, desk and small flat-screen TV on the wall. While an entryway will separate the bathroom from the bedroom area, and mirrors line one wall to make the space slightly grander in appearance, it’s still a good idea to keep your belongings to a minimum and spend most of your time in the public areas of the hotel instead of in your room.