Answers from Our Experts (1)
The Ritz London is an iconic name in the city for many reasons, but here are our picks for the best things about the Forbes Travel Guide Four-Star hotel:
1. The décor. You won’t find this over-the-top décor in other London hotels. Gold seems to find its way into every nook. The sumptuous Ritz Restaurant has a sky with plump clouds painted on its ceiling with gold chandeliers and gilded bronze garland circling it; the centerpiece of the cream-marble-filled Palm Court is the gold woman statue sitting and looking up at gold angels. The public areas have more cream marble and archways lined with gold.
2. The rooms. The restaurants and public spaces at this hotel scream luxury, but the spacious rooms do, too. They have rich Louis XVI-style décor and antique furniture. The white room has touches of blue, peach, pink and yellow, as well as gold detail throughout. The white-and-mauve all-marble bathrooms are luxurious as well.
3. The bar. The art-deco Rivoli Bar serves top-notch drinks. Try the Ritz 100, made with gold-infused Ketel One, Grand Marnier, champagne crème de pêche and an orange peel garnish. The waiter drops a brown sugar cube in it at your table to make it fizz and to add a touch of sweetness. Don’t miss the vintage cocktails list, which crafts drinks with rare spirits. On the list is a classic Sazerac with your choice of Louis XIII cognac or Woodford Reserve’s Master’s Collection aged cask rye whiskey, Peychaud’s bitters, sugar and 1950s absinthe.
4. Its location. The Piccadilly hotel is in a central spot that’s good for tourists. It’s adjacent to Green Park, which means you can cut across the 40-acre green space to get a glimpse of Buckingham Palace. And it’s down the road from Times Square-like Piccadilly Circus. The Ritz also is two minutes from upscale shopping on Bond Street, where you can peruse wares at Gucci and Prada.
5. The Ritz Club. While its name makes it sound like a country club of some sort, The Ritz Club is an underground casino. Only hotel guests and members get to play blackjack, roulette and poker in the outrageously dazzling space.