Answers from Our Experts (1)
The Polo Lounge, opened in 1941, continues to retain its reputation as the place to people-watch and spot stars — in a relaxed and refined manner, of course. Five things you should know about the perennial hot spot are:
1. The mature crowd is a mix of entertainment-industry wheelers and dealers, socialites, celebrities and international jet-setters.
2. There are several dining areas and rooms that comprise the lounge, including an outdoor patio with white wrought-iron tables.
3. There’s live music and entertainment almost all day long; expect a pianist or singer-guitarist.
4. Several dishes, such as the Dutch apple pancakes and tortilla soup, are legendarily famous in their own right and have appeared on the menu for decades.
5. The Polo Lounge recently underwent a careful renovation under designer Adam Tihany, but it retains its timeless glamour.