Answers from Our Experts (2)
Los Cabos’ natural setting — where the harsh desert and tepid waves collide — provides more than enough inspiration to unwind, while your choice of where to stay ensures that you’re perfectly at ease while doing so. A variety of options exist, from bed and breakfasts nestled in the quaint town center of San Jose del Cabo to majestic resorts lining the some 20 miles of coastline all the way to Cabo San Lucas. You’ll be more than satisfied at any of our Forbes Travel Guide editors’ five favorite places to stay in Los Cabos:
1. Capella Pedregal. The swank factor at this 24-acre resort perched on the southernmost tip of the peninsula is sky-high; it includes private plunge pools and two- and three-bedroom casitas ideal for families traveling together.
2. Casa Bella. This historic white-washed hacienda in Cabo on Calle Hidalgo has been converted into a 12-room hotel and offers more of a boutique experience right in town. A peek at yesteryear on the outside, inside the family-run bed and breakfast boasts modern, spacious rooms and a lush central courtyard that’s perfect for breakfasting in the morning sun, all within walking distance of the marina and beaches.
3. Me Cabo. Those accustomed to bottle service on the far side of the velvet rope will feel right at home at this hotel alongside Playa El Médano, where everyone's a VIP and the party seemingly never stops.
4. Cabo Surf Hotel. For a surefire escape from any hustle and bustle, hit the road toward San Jose, where you'll find beachfront getaways like Cabo Surf Hotel (Playa Acapulquito at kilometer 28). The 22-room boutique resort literally backs into one of the area’s most popular breaks, which — as the name suggests — makes it ideal for those with boards in tow.
5. One & Only Palmilla. Its lofty name really does live up to itself, with infinity pools, a 27-hole golf course designed by Jack Nicklaus, tennis and basketball courts, 24-hour butler service, its very own Azimut yacht and complimentary loaner iPads, oxygen shots and poolside foot rubs. The experience at this 173-room resort, One & Only’s lone Mexican property, is undeniably exquisite.
Los Cabos is spilling over with luxury accommodations and jovial customer service, so you’re sure to enjoy your stay in this Baja Peninsula paradise no matter where you bunk. But here are four hotels that should definitely make your short list:
1. Las Ventanas al Paraiso, A Rosewood Resort. Even the beach cabanas at pristine Las Ventanas al Paraiso are the epitome of pampering — each one with its own private plunge pool and Jacuzzi, and an attentive butler to supply you with Evian spray, sunscreen, cocktails and delicious snacks. The property’s one- and two-bedroom spacious spa suites, with exquisite limestone floors, plush white furnishings and marble bathrooms, offer a spa treatment room with a terrace, a steam room and a sauna. One- and three-bedroom villas step things up with private infinity-edge pools, patios, walk-in closets and adobe fireplaces. And to make matters even more thoughtful, this luxe resort has a dedicated Department of Romance. (Need a love message-in-a-bottle delivered to your companion on the beach? The Department of Romance can help.) When it comes to dining, the hotel’s outdoor Tequila, Ceviche & Sushi Bar looks like a delicious spot for a more casual meal — I’d love to devour a Mexican Roll, made with lobster, avocado, onion and grilled corn.
2. One&Only Palmilla, Los Cabos Resort. Widely known as one of the most exclusive hotels in Los Cabos, One&Only Palmilla offers oceanfront and beachfront guest rooms with 24-hour butler service and verandas that feature daybeds and telescopes for whale watching. The toniest of guests, however, will reserve Villa Cortez, a lavish, four-bedroom, hacienda-style abode with its own private beach and 10,000 square feet of living space. The private infinity-edge pool, private screening room and poolside fire pit certainly don’t hurt the villa, either.
3. Esperanza, An Auberge Resort. Besides the gorgeously landscaped property, awe-inspiring ocean views and spacious casitas with infinity-edge hot tubs, Esperanza pleases its guests with a plethora of activities sure to keep them well fed and entertained. Each night of the week brings a themed dining event — a Mexican fiesta featuring regional foods on the oceanfront patio on Thursday; burgers and milkshakes at La Palapa, the hotel grill, on Saturday; Argentinean barbecue on Wednesday. Try candlelit yoga on Thursday night or sunrise yoga on Saturday, take a morning painting class with a local artist and professor, or enjoy an educational tequila tasting. There’s something for everyone to do at this luxury Los Cabos resort.
4. Hotel El Ganzo. Los Cabos accommodations are largely of the vast-resort variety, but the new Hotel El Ganzo, set on a local fishing marina in the Puerto Los Cabos development, offers an art- and music-focused boutique atmosphere you likely won’t find anywhere else. The airy lobby features one-of-a-kind art by the hotel’s artists-in-residence, long communal dining tables that invite guests to mingle over meals, and a small stage for intimate performances by the hotel’s musicians-in-residence and other special guests. Dialing up the hip factor, there’s a door in the lobby floor that leads to a “secret” sound studio where visiting musicians record “El Ganzo Sessions” for Internet consumption. Don’t miss the hotel’s rooftop infinity-edge pool and sushi restaurant/bar with uniquely beautiful views of the fishing marina and the desert coast.