Answers from Our Experts (1)
If you’re considering a stay at Forbes Travel Guide Five-Star Mandarin Oriental, Macau, here are five things to know in advance about this hotel:
1. Rooms on higher floors offer more than better views; they provide more space. Will an extra five square meters make a huge difference to your stay? Probably not, but if you’re traveling with little ones in tow or just want some extra room to stretch out, make sure to book an upper floor.
2. The emphasis here is on more than just gaming. Although Macau now dwarfs Las Vegas when it comes to gambling revenues, the luxury hotel caters to people looking for more than proximity to slot machines and poker tables. World-class attractions surround you (the hotel offers Macau experience packages), and if the gambling itch hits, all the major casinos are just a short cab ride away.
3. The spa will be a highlight of your trip. It may only have eight rooms, but it’s an oasis of tranquility among the city’s bright lights and noisy slot machines. The four couples and four single rooms are tastefully laid out in dark wood with private changing areas that include steam rooms and Jacuzzi baths with views of the city. Choose from Mandarin Oriental’s signature massages as well as local specialties, like the two-hour Macanese Dragon, which includes a foot ritual, body scrub and massage with jade baoding balls, inspired by Macanese people’s love of jade and their belief that it relieves stress and prolongs life.
4. Kids are welcome here. From the kids’ Jacuzzi next to the pool to the in-room Xbox and PlayStation systems available upon request, the luxury hotel shows that it’s a family-centric spot. Many of the upper floors have adjoining room options, and there is also a special children’s turndown service. Who says adults get to have all the fun in Macau?
5. You’ll have to buy a Wi-Fi package. If you want to stay plugged in during your stay at the Macau hotel, select from a variety of WiFi packages when you arrive. The standard packages provide more than enough coverage, allowing you to connect up to four devices to the system.