Answers from Our Experts (2)
Aurora, an upscale Italian restaurant located inside the Five-Star Altira Macau, is a hidden jewel, tucked away on the tenth floor of the gleaming skyscraper hotel on Taipa island. Before you arrive for a meal at this attractive restaurant, here are a few things you should know:
1. Though the restaurant’s dining room is dressed up with white linens and fine china, you don’t have to dress up yourself. The dress code is smart casual and you’ll see plenty of diners here in jeans.
2. The open, glass-encased wine cellar is a focal point of the dining room, and it’s absolutely stunning. You can request to sit in the wine lounge, where you’ll have to choose between a view of the hundreds of bottles wine on display or the lights of the Macau Peninsula and surrounding ocean.
3. The service is impeccable. We were never left thirsty and the timing of the meal was well-paced and perfect, something of a rarity in a town just learning its way around fine dining.
4. Aurora has an open kitchen design that allows you to watch your meal being prepared from start to finish. The chefs are surprisingly cool, calm and collected, as they assemble the attractive, precisely-plated Italian cuisine.
5. If you’re dining at Aurora on a special occasion, there is a circular private dining room just outside the entrance of the restaurant that creates and intimate, romantic spot for a special meal.
Our chef de cuisine is Michele dell’Aquila who hails from the Puglia region in southern Italy. He has touched down in various places around the world perfecting his craft and after 14 years working in the industry, Michele found his way to Aurora. Now, he whips up satiating bites such as saffron Carnaroli risotto with spicy scallops and organic asparagus as well as red snapper with globe artichoke puree and onion jam with soft white chocolate and turmeric.
The Cuisine: At Aurora, our cuisine finds inspiration in the Puglia region in southern Italy. The fare draws from Mediterranean traditions, focusing on a diverse range of fish and seafood recipes and the use of exotic spices and exceptional vegetables.
Brunch: Aurora is the only restaurant within Altira Macau that offers our guests a Sunday brunch. Choose from a variety of active stations for pasta, pizzas and other favorites to satisfy your stomach, and be sure to bring the kids - our brunch is known to be family-friendly, complete with magicians and clowns serving as live entertainment.
New Brunch: Kira now offers Sunday brunch, and for one price you can enjoy the brunch both from Aurora and Kira.
Dessert: Be sure to try the chocolate fondant, which is prepared about 2 p.m. daily to make the perfect, hot dessert available in the evening.