Answers from Our Experts (1)
Let’s face it: Miami’s Art Deco flair and rich Latin American culture is sexy. So when you go to Miami with your loved one, we’re positive you’ll find some romantic places that reflect the city’s overall appeal. Get tickets to the Miami City Ballet or go to one of Miami Art Museum’s swanky Thursday night cocktail hours. Azul is one of the city’s best restaurants and offers great views. Then there’s the World Erotic Art Museum and the beaches themselves, which both seem pretty self-explanatory.
1. With a European- and Asian-influenced menu and sommelier Cynthia Betancourt in charge of the more than 700-bottle wine program, Azul continues its domination of the city’s fine dining scene, and its views make it one of the most romantic eateries in the city. Begin your meal with a platter from the raw bar and end with a sultry dessert like the pure Caraibe chocolate chiboust. The gorgeous room has a rosewood floor, white marble open kitchen and fantastic views of Biscayne Bay.
2. It’s hard to think of ballet in Miami without Miami City Ballet coming to mind first. The company held its debut season in 1986 and has since grown to be one of the largest in the U.S., currently comprised of 55 dancers from all over the world. The company performs its repertory series throughout various South Florida cities, but in their hometown, they perform their full season and an annual production of The Nutcracker at Ziff. The theater — part of the Arsht Center, which opened in 2006 — is the second-largest performing arts center in the U.S., after the Lincoln Center in New York City. Though the facility isn’t terribly intimate, ballet as an art form certainly is.
3. Sure, the art collections are impressive. But what really sets Miami Art Museum apart from other museums in South Florida is JAM at MAM, an event held the third Thursday of every month, where you can enjoy art with a twist: cocktails, hors d’oeuvres, DJs and live music — as well as extended museum hours. It’s a hit with young professionals and art aficionados, as they get to add a little mingling to their art appreciation.
4. Take a break from the shops and restaurants on South Beach, and hit up the World Erotic Art Museum, which — yes, you guessed it — showcases the largest collection of erotic art in the world. In an over 12,000-square-feet facility, the museum features exhibits such as Rembrandt’s erotic series and surrealist painter Normon Olson’s Nudes: erotics, poetic and patterned. A trip to this tasteful art museum might be followed up with a swift return back to your swanky South Beach hotel — if you catch our drift.
5. Soak up some rays at one of Miami’s hottest beaches. South Beach and Miami Beach are the city’s most popular, but there are almost a dozen to choose from. Open seven days a week and located at Miami Beach Marina is American Watersports, a convenient place to rent jet skis next to Miami Beach. Memberships and guided jet ski tours are offered as well, where you’ll hold onto your significant other’s waist and jump over crashing waves.