Answers from Our Experts (1)
Nestled along the Colorado River just outside of Moab in eastern Utah, Sorrel River Ranch Resort & Spa provides a mix of solitude and adventure that’s quite unique. Here are a few things to consider before you book your visit:
1. You could easily make an entire vacation of never leaving the ranch. The 160-acre Forbes Travel Guide Recommended resort includes a pool, tennis courts, fitness center, full-service spa and a whole list of activities to participate in.
2. The city of Moab is 30 minutes away. With one restaurant on the property, you might want to make a trip into Moab to stock up on some snacks to keep in your in-room kitchenette for the times you don’t want to smarten up for the restaurant or truck into town.
3. Everything is seasonal. If you want to go rafting on the Colorado River, you’ll want to visit the ranch during the high season in summer. Those who prefer to have the parks to themselves should consider a winter visit, when crowds dissipate and a light dusting of snow adds charm to the blazing red rocks.
4. It’s close to two National Parks. Arches National Park is just 30 minutes from the ranch and Canyonlands National Park is 15 minutes beyond that. Bottom line: you can go National Park crazy here.
5. Getting there can be a challenge. Moab/Canyonlands airport is just 33 miles away from the ranch, but only connects to Denver and only via a very small propeller plane that isn’t for everyone. Grand Junction is the next closest option at 75 miles away and is preferred thanks to its connections with major airlines.