Answers from Our Experts (1)
As a Carmel hotel with a pedigree dating back to 1929, there are many interesting aspects to L’Auberge Carmel. Here are five things we think you’ll want to know before planning your trip.
1. You’re in a perfect location. When you arrive at L’Auberge Carmel, you’ll realize you’re ideally situated in the middle of the town of Carmel. Cafes and galleries are just a short walk away, and so is the beach, yet you’ll also feel like you’ve found your own little hideaway.
2. The restaurant is stellar. We strongly suggest you make plans to dine at Aubergine, the acclaimed restaurant on the hotel’s ground floor. Chef Justin Cogley has been winning national accolades for his inventive and delicious tasting menus that focus on the bounty of the local waters. It’s a splurge, but one that’s truly worth it.
3. It’s intimate. There’s a secluded and intimate feeling to L’Auberge Carmel, as all the rooms are arranged around a central terrace filled with benches, blooming plants and a fountain. And with only 20 rooms, you might actually get to know some of the people staying nearby if you like.
4. They charge a service fee. When you check in, you’ll learn about the $30 per night service fee, which covers all gratuities for the staff who help park your car, carry your luggage and tidy up your room. This way you don’t have to look for cash every time you interact with someone on the staff.
5. Breakfast is included. You won’t want to linger in bed too long, as a full gourmet breakfast awaits in the Aubergine restaurant space from 7 a.m. to 10:30 a.m. You’ll be presented with grilled toast and a housemade pastry with a crumbled topping, a choice of fruit, two eggs prepared to your liking, plus tea or coffee.