Answers from Our Experts (1)
Between the complimentary full breakfast, the treats in your room and the amazing cuisine at Aubergine restaurant, you’ll find plenty of wonderful things to eat and drink at L’Auberge Carmel. These are what top our list:
1. Breakfast. Get ready to be pampered with a full breakfast served in a light-filled breakfast room. Order eggs prepared your favorite way, along with housemade pastries, fresh fruit, juice and either coffee or tea.
2. Pappy Van Winkle Bourbon. As bourbon connoisseurs know, this is one of the most rare and sought-after Kentucky bourbons around for its distinctive vanilla, spice and caramel flavor. Aubergine keeps the 15-, 20- and 23-year-old versions under lock and key. Our favorite is the 15-year whiskey, which retains the sweet fruitiness of a young bourbon.
3. Red abalone. This is one of the delicacies from the Carmel area, and if you order the full tasting menu at Aubergine, you’ll be presented with tender slices surrounded by a medley of local seaweed including lemony hijiki, as well as white Alba mushrooms.
4. Duck liver. The preparation changes seasonally, but rest assured it will be exquisite. When we dined, the chef presented a creamy cylinder of duck liver in a hot pink skin of rhubarb leather, along with a dusting of fennel pollen, candied rhubarb and the butteriest slice of brioche we’ve ever tasted.
5. Salted butter caramels. These little treats that can be found in a bowl in your room are perfectly sweet and buttery with a right balance of saltiness. Trust us, you’ll be wishing for more.