Answers from Our Experts (1)
The Wauwinet offers you some of the best luxury you’ll find in all of Nantucket. But to give you a better idea of what to expect, here’s our list of the five best amenities at the inn.
1. Continental breakfast. You’re going to need fuel for your day, whether you decide to browse the boutiques in town, lie on the beach or go for a scenic bike ride around the island. Luckily, your room rate includes the continental breakfast at Topper's restaurant, available from 8 a.m. to 10:30 a.m. each morning. The delicious spread consists of beautifully plated fresh melon, berries, an assortment of cereals and yogurt, freshly baked rolls and platters of cured Italian meats and smoked salmon. If you have a taste for the sweeter side of breakfast, help yourself to a muffin or a chocolate croissant. Enjoy the picturesque bay view from the adjacent outdoor deck while you dine — it’s an idyllic way to begin your day.
2. Schedule of activities. The Wauwinet offers a staggering variety of activities, most of which are fully included in the room rate. Activities are offered Monday through Friday with options including mountain biking, historic walking tours and culinary demonstrations. Learn how to bring in lobsters from the Atlantic on the inn’s boat, The Wauwinet Lady, or try surfcasting, a specialized type of fishing. With other water-based activities such as surfing, kayaking and sailing, you might forget to come ashore.
3. Shuttle service. A car is a convenient way to get around most of the time, but we suggest leaving your wheels at home when visiting The Wauwinet. The inn’s shuttle service runs hourly from The Wauwinet’s front door to the information center in the heart of Nantucket Town. The shuttle drivers are also a great resource and can kindly point you in the right direction after dropping you off in the town.
4. Library. A roaring fireplace, board games, playing cards, a selection of books, a catalog of more than 200 DVDs — The Wauwinet has indoor activities as covered as outdoor activities. Curl up with a novel, work on a puzzle or play a game of chess to wind down after a day of sightseeing.
5. Port, sherry and cheese. Aside from the convenient amenities readily available in the inn’s library, the cozy space offers another reason to stop by: the nightly port, sherry and cheese hour. From 4 p.m. to 5 p.m. each evening, the inn provides an excellent cheese and fruit platter for you, as well as pre-poured snifters of port and dry sherry.