Answers from Our Experts (1)
Thanks to The Wauwinet’s habit of anticipating your every need — from stocking ginger-scented Dorothy Prentice bath products to placing personalized note cards in your room before your arrival — you can pack light for a vacation here. But here are five things to pack to enhance your stay:
1. Bathing suit. This is a must for The Wauwinet’s beautiful beaches — on the Atlantic and on Nantucket Bay — and water activities, such as surfing and kayaking.
2. Light jacket. You’ll appreciate this when the cool ocean breezes roll in; make it waterproof in case rain comes into play during your visit.
3. Resort wear. Nantucket is all about summer casual cool but still maintains an air of style. Docksiders, bright polos and lightweight shirts for men and summer print dresses for women will keep you comfy and chic.
4. Comfortable shoes. Keep the stilettos out of your suitcase for this trip — you don’t want to get caught in the cobblestones! Make sure your footwear will allow you to comfortably navigate the picturesque, but uneven, cobblestone-and-brick streets of Nantucket Town or hit the road for a bike ride.
5. Camera. Every sight on the island is postcard-perfect. Take pictures of the beach from The Wauwinet’s patio and terrace, and don’t forget to capture the full view from the bench at the end of the dock; it faces the beautiful inn and its cozy lawn area with wicker lounge furniture. In Nantucket Town, the sailboats at the wharves, the quaint and traditional facades of the stores on Main Street and the gorgeous and uniquely Nantucket style of the wooden-thatched homes are all sights you must capture during your vacation. Head to Broad Street and to the top of the Whaling Museum for a bird’s-eye view of the town; the $20 admission is well worth it for the opportunity to enjoy the sights and peer into the island’s whaling history.