Answers from Our Experts (1)
Whether you love kicking up your heels, brushing up on your history or cheering on your team, downtown Nashville offers plenty to do just steps from The Hermitage Hotel. Here are our picks for the best things to do near this Forbes Travel Guide Five-Star hotel:
1. Honky-tonks. They don’t call Nashville Music City for nothing. The famous Second Avenue and Broadway Entertainment Districts are a must-see for country music lovers. Luckily you can walk to these nightlife hubs from The Hermitage Hotel (just remember to wear your cowboy boots). Popular spots include Robert’s Western World and Tootsie’s Orchid Lounge.
2. Ryman Auditorium. Known as the Mother Church of Country Music, the Ryman is the former home of the Grand Ole Opry and boasts a stage that’s been in use since the 1890s. Enjoy a show or take a self-guided tour. While you’re there, take a walk across the street to stop at The Country Music Hall of Fame.
3. Frist Center for the Visual Arts. Nashville is home to an increasingly vibrant art scene, anchored by the Frist, which has an exhibit schedule that brings new art through its halls every six to eight weeks. For even more art, walk one block to the Fifth Avenue of the Arts, where numerous galleries are clustered.
4. Tennessee State Capitol. Many of the rooms at this luxury Nashville hotel have stunning views of the Capitol building, but if you want a closer look, just walk over to Legislative Plaza. Completed in 1859 and designed by noted architect William Strickland, the Capitol was modeled after a Greek temple. No tours will be offered of the inside of the building while it undergoes renovations (until January 2013), but architecture buffs should still walk the grounds, which are home to the tomb of President James Polk.
5. Sports. Downtown Nashville is home to two stadiums on either side of the Cumberland River: the Tennessee Titans play at the giant LP Field, and the Nashville Predators play at the Bridgestone Arena. So whether you’re a football or a hockey fan, you can get on your gear and root for the home team.