Answers from Our Experts (1)
As the only Forbes Travel Guide Five-Star hotel in Tennessee, it’s not a surprise that The Hermitage Hotel’s cuisine is among the best in Nashville. Executive chef Tyler Brown is also a masterful farmer, filling his seasonal menu at the Four-Star Capitol Grille with a rotating cast of heritage-breed, grass-fed beef and organic heirloom vegetables from the nearby historic farm at Glen Leven. It’s hard to narrow it down, but here are our picks for the best things to eat and drink at The Hermitage Hotel:
1. Braised Painted Hills beef short ribs. Any of the beef dishes at Capitol Grille are excellent, but this entrée stands out for its tender, flavorful meat. Paired with ratatouille and squash blossom, it’s the perfect blend of rich and earthy.
2. Tennessee “Jack” egg sandwich. A standout on the breakfast menu, this sandwich gets a kick with Jack Daniel’s-infused toast, pan-fried egg, jowl bacon and tomato gravy. Add a side of Anson Mills grits or Southern potatoes for extra local flair.
3. Blue-plate lunch specials. Monday to Friday, the Capitol Grille chef offers up classic Southern dishes for lunch that are just like what grandma used to make — only better. We love the luxury Nashville hotel's smoked pork loin with chipotle pepper mac-and-cheese, served with a side of roasted apples.
4. Local brews. Nashville’s own Yazoo beer is on tap at Oak Bar, which is located right next to Capitol Grille. And of course, you can’t help but order something made with Tennessee's rich and robust Jack Daniel’s Single Barrel whiskey.
5. Chocolate pudding cake. This rich, decadent dessert is famous in Music City. Made using chocolate from local beans-to-bar chocolatier Olive and Sinclair, this treat has true local flavor. Served with port-poached cherries and cherry ice cream, it’s the perfect blend of sweet and fruity.