Answers from Our Experts (1)
The Mark is a stylish boutique hotel in New York’s Upper East Side neighborhood, located in a handsome circa-1927 landmark building. The location of this Forbes Travel Guide Four Star hotel can’t be beat and the hotel offers many great services, but here are five things you should know before booking your stay.
1. The gym at The Mark hotel is on the small side, though it’s staffed by friendly attendants; they’ll help tailor your workout or stretch you out after a run on the treadmill. However, you're just a block away from biking, jogging, horseback riding, boating and skating in Central Park. The luxury hotel will even provide you with handy jogging route maps.
2. The hotel is located on the Upper East Side of New York, which offers excellent designer shopping on nearby Madison Avenue from Carolina Herrera to Christian Louboutin. It can be a quiet neighborhood come nighttime, however, so if you want to go to the city's hottest clubs and restaurants, you're probably going to have to cab it Downtown.
3. If you've come to Manhattan for the museums, The Mark is the place to stay. It's only four blocks from The Metropolitan Museum of Art and two blocks from The Whitney Museum of American Art. If the thought of spending the whole afternoon in a huge museum is overwhelming, you'll also find smaller art hubs like the Neue Galerie on 86th Street for 20th century German and Austrian paintings and The Frick Collection on 70th Street for 18th century European art.
4. There is neither a pool nor sauna facilities at the Forbes Travel Guide Four Star hotel, nor a locker room should you want to rinse off post-workout. However, the concierge will happily arrange spa visits, and the hotel does boast a salon from one of New York's top stylists, Frédéric Fekkai, with services from haircuts to makeup application.
5. The hotel is very high tech. All guest rooms are outfitted with Bang & Olufsen LCD televisions with Blu-ray DVD players, in-mirror television consoles, telephones in bathrooms and videoconferencing phones. A touch-screen remote lets you control everything from the television to the temperature and more — meaning no more getting out of bed to turn off the lights.