Answers from Our Experts (1)
We recommend knowing these five things about The Plaza Hotel:
1. The Plaza has a rich history with movies and pop culture. Alfred Hitchcock’s North by Northwest was the launch of the Forbes Travel Guide Four-Star hotel’s movie career in 1958. Since then, The Plaza has become one of New York City’s most popular movie locations and the set for films such as Barefoot in the Park, Plaza Suite, The Way We Were, The Great Gatsby, Arthur, Sex and the City, Home Alone 2, Sleepless in Seattle, Crocodile Dundee, and Bride Wars.
2. The New York hotel has also played host to many memorable moments in history: The Beatles’ first trip to the United States; Truman Capote’s Black and White Ball; and the debut of modern jazz with performances in the Persian Room by Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Duke Ellington and Billie Holiday.
3. Afternoon Tea at The Palm Court restaurant is a tradition as famous as The Plaza Hotel itself. The Afternoon Tea service blends an innovative menu with a formal tea to provide guests with a balance of service and flavorful cuisine. The Tea Menu incudes The Classic, The New Yorker, a Chocolate Tea, and The Eloise Tea.
4. Location is everything at this Forbes Travel Guide Four-Star hotel. Step outside and walk straight into Central Park, home to miles of running and walking paths, fields for picnics, a carousel and more.
5. If you’re traveling with children, you won’t want to miss out on Eloise at The Plaza. Check out the Eloise Suite (designed by fashion designer Betsey Johnson) — a tribute to The Plaza’s most precocious resident, Eloise — and snap a picture using the disposable Eloise camera to capture your stay. You’ll also want to take your kids to Eloise at The Plaza, a fun shop that includes a Library Room where movies are shown; a Fashion Room for dress-up; a Beauty Salon; and a Tea Room where you can host your own birthday party, etiquette class, and more.